Sunday, August 29, 2010

Suddenly Things Are Much Different


I couldn't post another entry without a salute to Kay Vee's husband, Richard Vesey.  Rich died last Saturday, and the news was shocking and profoundly sad.  The Mississippi running and triathlon community was on its knees in disbelief and sent its love to Kay Vee and her family.  Richard was a fixture at races, whether working with the organizers, volunteering, or just supporting his wife and all his friends. 

Kay Vee is one of my dearest, closest friends, my marathon and tri coach, and the coolest person I've ever met.  When I went to bed that night after hearing the news, my grief was uncontrollable for a time.  My heart hurt so badly for her as I recalled my own experience after losing my wife, Robbie several years ago.  Kay Vee's journey from here will not be like mine. I can only watch and be close by with encouragement.  She will know what I know and that may be comforting to her as she starts a new life.

I would be proud to leave this life with the love and respect felt toward Richard Vesey. 

1 comment:

Tea said...

That was a beautiful and heartfelt post.