Monday, March 01, 2010

The Duck Whisperer






My latest nickname is the "The Duck Whisperer". I like the suggestion of mysterious powers and unusual talent. Not much to it in reality. My friend Chuck called my iphone a few nights ago to ask for assistance. "There's a big bird in my living room! It must have come down the chimney!
What do I do? It's making a mess everywhere!"

No problem. I went to Chuck's house expecting a hawk or owl or maybe a vulture. It was a sweet little female Wood Duck. I threw a sheet over her, picked her up gently and took her outside. The whole episode lasted maybe 5 minutes, but it caused a big stir in that household. Chuck's wife hid in the bedroom, while his son was excited about getting pictures on his iphone to show at school.

Now it seems the episode made it to a local television station, with the picture below. The report was totally botched. From what I heard, the report said I was Bill the Ornithologist and I rescued a Mallard. I'm merely an avid birder, (or birdwatcher if you prefer) and the subject bird was a Wood Duck. (at least I'm 99% sure)

Life is good, and interesting.

1 comment:

Harry said...

Dang, I missed your moment of glory!