Sunday, January 06, 2008

Business in New York

The image was taken from Rob Gardiner's site, NYCLondon

I have a wonderful job. It's the only job in Mississippi or even close by that is suited to my unique mix of education and experience. It is very stressful at times, rarely boring, and rewarding in many ways. One of those ways is the requirement for me to travel to places I probably would not go at my own expense. So I really felt rewarded to be included in a group from our company making a trip to New York City.


I barely recall visiting the New York City area as a child, so that doesn't count. This was my first real trip to the Big Apple. We stayed on 42nd Street at the Tudor Hotel and it was fabulous. Getting settled in my room I went to the windows, (I was in a corner room) and opened the blinds to the lights of the city forming a dazzling canyon in two directions. I wasn't very high by New York standards, but the 17th floor is pretty rare at most Holiday Inns.


Before our first meeting on Tuesday morning I found myself scurrying around the sidewalks of Manhattan in the cold wind, Madison Avenue, 42nd Street, etc. looking for a Kinkos or Staples to buy a computer gadget. Dressed in a suit and tie with a warm overcoat, I felt like I fit right in with all the people rushing around. I remember waiting to cross 3rd Avenue and being totally amazed at the traffic speeding by - 6 lanes of 40 mph taxis going the same direction - then they stop, we walk across - quickly.


We ate at wonderful restaurants, most notably The Palm Club, a loud, crazy place with cartoons and caricatures on every wall. With a few hours to spare one afternoon, a few of us wandered about and saw Rockefeller Plaza with the big Christmas Tree lit and skaters circulating on the ice rink. We visited the storefront windows with holiday themes and characters. It was a fine experience!





No comments: