Sunday, December 30, 2007

Tennessee Trip - Knoxville and Home


On our last day in Tennessee we drove to Knoxville, home of Big Jean, my life-long friend and mentor. My parents were, of course, most responsible for my childhood development and raising me with honorable values and work ethic. But Big Jean has had a different type of influence on my life in the 38 years I've known her. I was her daughter's boyfriend in my teenage years, a time when nothing my parents had to say meant a thing to me. She was a worldly and wise figure to me, and though I was not to pursue a college education until much later, she recognized my curiosity and potential and steered and encouraged me to better things. The opportunities I have had in my life are largely due to "going through open doors" she pointed me toward.


We drove the interstate from Chattanooga north and I was amazed at the never ending suburbs approaching Knoxville. I'm really sick of the urban sprawl around my home in Mississippi, and I have to remind myself that my neighborhood was built in the 70's in a pristine forest by the water, I'm sure to someone's angry dismay.


We arrived at Big Jean's shortly after noon. Big Jean seems to always be in great spirits, in spite of current health challenges. We enjoyed a burger at the famous Litton's Market & Restaraunt, shared a short but wonderful visit and headed back south towards Chattanooga. We decided to try to make it all the way home, and arrived at around 9 that evening.


It was a great trip, and I'm glad I do this blog so we'll have a means of enjoying the memories.

1 comment:

KayVee said...

Totally enjoyed your trip...vicariously, that is.