Saturday, March 24, 2007

Catching Up Winter

I've been neglecting my blog again, having more fun reading other blogs that are way better than mine.

Pictures are always a good way to get this thing moving.



The scene above is from what younger folk would consider a pathetic excuse for a New Year's Eve party. And they would be right, but age has its rewards and among them is the enjoyment of family and friends with a little food and beverage, stupid hats and party favors.

Speaking of age, Wifeunit's illustrious mother passed away in January. She was highly regarded in many circles and lived a full and colorful life of 89 years. On one occasion following her funeral I was the recipient of some sage observations by one of her surviving friends. He leaned toward me and grabbed my shoulder, "Being this old does have its compensations - there are no ugly women when you're 91." Wifeunit had just mentioned how well he looked, and he replied, "You are more kind than you are accurate. For me, it's more important to feel good than to look good."

Moving on to February and Mardi Gras fun...

It's been many years since I stood on Canal Street with the crowds of revelers at the New Orleans Mardi Gras parades. I remember some of those experiences fondly, but with some amazement that I was not killed, maimed or jailed at some point. On one occasion I caught a young man with his hand in my back pocket after my money, and on others, men expressing a different interest in the front of my pants.

The Pascagoula, Mississippi Mardi Gras Parade is a much different event. The fun is still there without the hassles. There is a sense of Gulf Coast community at this parade and the many others across the area. The parades are smaller in scale and less elaborate, but lots of fun.



There are still the bead throwers on the floats, and the bead catchers.
Each year, our crew of semi-revelers gathers at an old-home-turned-office along the parade route. This choice property belongs to our great host and friend, and the gathering is a reunion of sorts for many.
You may choose to kick back and watch...

...or be wild like these hell-raisers.

Pets are welcome, though they don't all seem to grasp the spirit of celebration.


No comments: